I received the copies of Books One and Three (What if? and What Now?) and was excited to finally get everything up for sale again. The copies came last night. Let’s get started, right? Not so fast, you wascally wabbit.
The final book in the trilogy, What Now?, was fine. Great. Ready to go. Let loose the hounds. Hopefully that will be up and available very soon. Unfortunately, the first book, the original cause for these revisions in the first place, continues to have almost comically disastrous results preventing its re-release.
In our latest installment, the publisher accidentally sent the previous (old) version of the manuscript to the printer. Yeah, unbelievable. I had an opportunity to catch the issue before it was sent out, but it never occurred to me that I should look for that particular problem. My publisher volunteered to cover the cost and ship the new manuscript out immediately, but it means yet another two to three-week delay in putting What if? back up for sale.
What’ s most vexing about this is that I am unable to leverage the release of the final book or the giveaways through Goodreads to build momentum and sales for the entire series. Tough to interest people in reading the series if they can’t get the first book! Ugh.
Ah, well. It’s a lost opportunity and no hand-wringing on my part will change the timing. As it stands, I’m basically the kid in the back seat who has to put up with the answer, “We’ll get there when we get there.”